Apple Cider Donuts
Executive Pastry Chef Paul Lemieux Auberge du Soleil, Napa Valley, CA (Recipe yields 18 donuts and holes) Donuts 9 ounces All Purpose Flour 1 teaspoon Baking Powder ½ teaspoon Baking Soda ½ teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon Powder ¼ teaspoon Salt
Executive Pastry Chef Paul Lemieux
Auberge du Soleil, Napa Valley, CA
(Recipe yields 18 donuts and holes)
9 ounces All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 ounces Butter
1.7 ounces Sugar
1 whole egg
2 ounces Buttermilk
3.25 ounces Apple Cider Syrup (Bates & Schmitt Apple Farm) Or reduce 18oz of Apple Cider Syrup to 3.25 oz.
1 ounce Ceylon Cinnamon
6 ounces sugar
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Cream butter and sugar with paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg, scrape bowl, mix 2 minutes
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and apple cider syrup.
- To the butter /egg mix, add ½ dry mix, ½ wet mix, ½ dry mix, ½ wet mix – scraping bowl in between additions. Place dough on floured parchment. Flour top of dough and gently roll out to 1cm thick, about 1/3 inch. Chill dough in freezer until firm enough to punch out (about 1.5 hours). Punch out 2 inch circles of dough. Place on lightly floured tray. Punch out a 1 inch hole in each of the circles.
- Fry donut in 350˚oil for 1.5 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and cool for about 2 minutes.
- Toss donuts and donut holes in Cinnamon Mixture
(yields 2 cups)
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
1 ½ ounce sugar
½ ounce Calvados
1 cup cream
1 ounce Calvados
- Place eggs, yolks, sugar and Calvados in bowl
- Place bowl over simmering water.
- Wisk mixture vigorously until it triples in volume. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream and Calvados to soft peaks and fold into egg mixture.
2 whole Pink Lady apples – diced
1 ounce sugar
- Combine diced apples, sugar and salt. Add to a sauté pan. Cook on high heat while stirring with a wooden spoon until apples are tender and all of the juice has evaporated from pan. Cool apples to room temperature on a sheet tray.